28 July 2012

Rosin Powder


  So far I don't know of any place that sells rosin powder here in Davao City. I do, though, know where one can buy rosin.

  Yes, rosin. Whole, shiny, rock, hard, amber-colored rosin.

  'So, like, uhh... What is rosin?' you might ask. Well, my friend, according to my research, rosin is basically the hardened sap of pine trees. Traces of rosin can be found in every day items from paper, to soda. It adds traction to surfaces. Dancers sprinkle some under their shoes and violinists rub it onto their bows. 


  Violinists... This brings us back to where we started. Where do we find rosin in our little city? I have found a solution; Music stores. A long time ago my fiddler on the roof sister Ashley gave me a small block of rosin saying something about it affecting the sound of her instrument. I had no idea how I was to apply the hard rock-like material onto my shoes so I just shelfed it...

  I came to a brilliant idea earlier this week though, and am willing to share it ^_^ Using a broken scissor, I scratched on the rosin until it powderised. Yes! I now have my very own stash of rosin powder in case of a slippery studio moment.

  A word of warning though, before you start scratching on your rosin; this activity is a bit messy and watch out for allergies, like all powders rosin can cause a lot of sniffles. Also about the scissors, fast scratching action can cause... casualties...

   Have you ever slipped in the studio, while in the middle of an almost-perfect center-floor combination? Lost control of your turns? Looked down at your feet while on the barre and saw your two feet slowly sliding away from a turned out fifth? Rosin. It works.

  The problem is my ballet shoes don't need rosin. I'm actually having a hard time with my pirouettes because of my new shoes' extra traction :( 


  What's the opposite of rosin?

No comments:

Post a Comment